HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Guillows Spitfire (Read 1448 times)
scigs30
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Guillows Spitfire
Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:22pm

Here are some pictures of my Guillows Spitfire. I covered with Domestic Grey and Green tissue, and sprayed 2 light coats of Dope. The plastic is lightly airbrushed with grey. She weighs 28 grams, ouch. I think I will be able to get her to fly.

Here is my collection of Guillows 500 series, I am now starting on the Avenger.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2008 at 9:27pm by scigs30 »  

IP Logged

SKblanch
activemembers

East Haddam,CT
Re: Guillows Spitfire
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:41am

That Spit looks great. I have that same kit. It is sitting beside my bed and every once in a while I will pick it up and look at the box art, pull out the plan and the pieces, look them over and put it all back into the box. I think Guillows gets us all with the box art. Those kits look so inviting. I really want to build it but it's the plastic cowling that bothers me. I'll replace that with balsa and probably modify some other things. I built the Guillows Hawker Typhoon a couple of years ago after seeing Chris Parent's version on Mike Stuart's web site. That thing flew great. I would love to hear flying reports on your Spitfire. Did you make any modifications, or did you build straight from kit?

Steve

IP Logged

Don_McLellan
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Coquitlam
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:17am

Very nice models Sigs.  Are they all built with the kit wood?

IP Logged

scigs30
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 2:16pm

The Spitfire is built with Kit wood.  I did modify the plastic cowl so that there is a box structure inside the plastic cowling and a nose plug.  These are cheap fun, fast builds.  Obviously they don't fly well, but I have been achieving 20 to 30 second flights.  The Messerschmitt and Wildcat are completely modified.  Used quality balsa and no plastic. The problem is they took forever to build.  For right now I just want a collection of built scale kits that fly ok.

IP Logged

scigs30
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:13pm

Flew my Spitfire today and did ok.  I had to add weight to the nose and was able to get 20 second flights.  I used a 6 inch Peck prop with couple strands of rubber.  Now I need to buy a SLR camera so I can take pictures of my planes and rockets in flight.

IP Logged

Graiskye
activemembers

Northwestern Flyer

Salmon Arm
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:37pm

Right on Scigs, thats plenty long enough to put a big smile on your face.
Very nice stable of Guillows, you have done a great job on all of em.
The Avenger is one of my favorites though, built two myself, one stock and another own wood, old canopy and cowl, the nice long canopy with the bubble makes it look great.
If I were making a serious flyer today, I would extend most of these one former and make a traditional nose block.
-Grais

Home is where the airplanes are.

IP Logged

scigs30
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 7:54am

I am in the same boat, if I were building for competition I would modify everything.  Right now in life where I am busy it is just fun to throw one of these together and fly for a few seconds.  I do modify the nose so I have a nose block and I use Peck props and wheels.  I am going to complete the 500 series, then the Private plane series, biplanes followed by the 900 series.

IP Logged