HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Guillows 500 Series Me Bf-109 Build (Read 1588 times)
ADW 123
activemembers

Guillows 500 Series Me Bf-109 Build
Aug 14th, 2011 at 7:37pm

got this at my LHS yesterday. i started construction on it today. i will go for Rubbber powered FF with no mods except for moving up the mount one bay. i have also scalloped my fuselage. i have never tried this before, and i think it turned out alright. i saved .4 grams from it as well. i used a round file. as you can see, i have basically all of my frames built up. just have to add the modified motor mount, and finish up the wing and sand up. ill see what i have in my stock of colored tissue, but i think i might go with a sky blue easy built lite.  here are some pics-

no bannana fuse on this one

the wing getting some dihedral

thats all for now. stand by

IP Logged

dmar836
activemembers

Re: Guillows 500 Series Me Bf-109 Build
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:16pm

Building them quick.  Good job.  Nice to know there are some younger guys out there with a passion.... for anything!
One suggestion would be to glue some sandpaper to a few sizes of wooden dowels and then not go quite so deep on your scallops.  If you get down to where there is only a "pedestal" left it will easily crack across the grain with minimal shock and you probably won't see it/them.
Keep em coming!
Dave

IP Logged

ADW 123
activemembers

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:33pm

i do notice a lack of pasion in todays young'uns..

anyways, i think i will do alright with the round file that i have. ill just not sand so much. i wasnt sure how far to go, but i think it will be ok for this one time. trial and error....

IP Logged

Dragan
activemembers

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:06pm

Nice craftsmanship pal.
I've never been even close to a guillow's model, but they sure look heavy on photos.

IP Logged

ADW 123
activemembers

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:12pm

they are heavy often. its hit or miss when it comes to getting good wood. kinda like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. a lot of people just make new parts out of competition grade balsa, but i wont have that. it think i should be able to buy the kit once and have the parts already half decent. all of the other companies kits i have built have great wood.  Angry

IP Logged

ADW 123
activemembers

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 9:13pm

i am sort of trying to make myself like the color. it will have to do. maybe ill get used to it. i think it could have been a little darker but...

anyways, i am mostly done with covering now. i havent done such a gread job on the fuse, because of little tiney stress wrinkles from the bad scalloping skills. that will improve. had i not scalloped then it would be perfect. i also covered in a couple pieces, although im sure i could do a whole side in one piece pretty easy. im pretty conservative like that...

the wing turned out really great though. 1/8" washout on both tips. i also have the rudder and stab done and they look good too. needless to say im getting better build by build. here are some pics-

IP Logged

dmar836
activemembers

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 2:57pm

Lookin' great!  Your skills are improving.

IP Logged

ADW 123
activemembers

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 3:12pm

thanks. i feel like its been 2 steps forward onestep back. this one i think is one step back. i can do better than this. i just didnt scallp correctly and that screwed up my fuse.

IP Logged

Michael Heinrich
activemembers

Avowed Terribleist

Brooklyn
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 3:54pm

Nope, they're ALL steps forward, you just don't see 'em that way--but your fingers do!!
   EVERY build, you will learn from at least one mistake; and with every build you gain steadiness in your hands, you think a little less as you get used to the feel of sanding, you gain "muscle memory" that will pay off on the next. And the next.
   One of these days, SOON, you'll lay down sticks and up'll pop a model, that you'll then toss into a perfect pattern. --And it won't be the first you built, nor the tenth, maybe the 20th or 50th, but you'll have stopped counting: because it won't be about each individual step any more, it'll be about The Model. That's where you're headed.
   You're doin' great. Best of all, you're enjoying it. Nothing else, not even deep scallops, counts.
   --ESPECIALLY deep scallops: benthic bivalves don't count too good.
   Michael

IP Logged

rgroener
activemembers

Switzerland
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:33pm

Well said Smiley Michael
It's just not possible to learn new things...

Roman

IP Logged

ADW 123
activemembers

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:15pm

two coats of nitrate dope. getting this thing together. scigs, i followed your thread on your ME 109 and was wondering what you did for trimming for a turn. i have already added washout on both sides. (why do you the same washout on both wing tips??)

pictures

IP Logged

staubkorb
Forum Administrator

P. Pan, Capt., Angel Sqdn.

Roedermark, Ger.
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:09am

I really can't see why you're complaining about the "bad" job on the fuselage Huh. It looks FINE to me.

Equal washout on both sides is a whole lot easier to accomplish during the build/covering stages. Getting CORRECT differential washout is next to impossible. You want to get your INITIAL flight trim flat and straight to get the CG sorted (for one thing). Turn trim comes later, and can be done with unobtrusive Gurney flaps or small clear acetate tabs.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:10am by staubkorb »  

Da Debbil made me doit

WWW.oFF
WWW WWW p.dustbin46 staubkorb  
IP Logged